Monday, May 19, 2008

Epiphany

I had to watch Pastor Bil's lastest sermon online because I woke up 5/18 sick like I was hit by a freight train.

The last two months have been his best sermons ever. Imagine -- a pastor talking, preaching on Vision & Leadership?!!! This is so awesome. Not to be a gushing, blushing teenager here, but it's really affected my life.

This past Saturday morning, returning from leading my tiny MOB group, I had an epiphany: the reason I have felt rudderless for the last few years is because I accomplished so many of my dreams so quickly. What I imagined my life to be when I was 16 has already come true, and more. I have a smoking hot wife, a house full of energetic kids, a high paying job that still let's me work out my own schedule and work from wherever I want -- my house, the beach, wherever -- AND see my kids at night.

I got a life beyond my imagination, but at the time, I didn't extend my goals because I'd never made any to start with. I had only thought "it would be cool to be A, B, & C by the time I'm dead." Well, I made it to C when I was about 32 but I never made plans for D, E & F. That's what I'm doing now, and it's incredible. I've been making goals for awhile now, but failing to act on them. It's HARD to figure out which of 10 different great goals you want to do, and what the first step is. It's especially hard when you are still living the life of AB&C. You know, if I didn't do DEF right away, or if ever at all, I'm still as successful as I'd ever imagined. Sometimes it's hard to be motivated like that. In some ways, I imagine it to be a trick. Success can make you apathetic and unmotivated unlike anything else.

Pastor Bil has been pretty important in this personal crusade of mine. I also want to mention a guy who has been helping me: Paul Lozuk. This dude's been helping my wife get together her business plan and blowing our minds with thoughts about leadership and influence.

No comments: