Thursday, October 4, 2007

Does God watch sports?

The latest issue of ESPN The Magazine has a story about Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna's open Christian faith. Jon has been mocked because he attributed his ability to come back from a concussion to lead his team to an overtime win. He said it was a miracle at the hand of God.

When I'd see a guy point to the sky after a touchdown, I once said, too, before I accepted Christ back into my life: "Oh, yeah, God is watching this game." What I didn't realize was that a Christian believes God is omnipresent. He's everywhere, so He is watching the game, but only because people are participating in it. Do I personally believe that He is manipulating the outcome? It is my belief that God gives us gifts and skills and dreams so that we can use them to serve Him, or to help others. So a running back crossing the goal line then pointing skyward to give the glory to God isn't necessarily being ridiculous. I don't think he's saying, "God did this, God moved the tacklers out of my way!" I think he's saying, "God is great, he's given me gifts of athleticism and work ethic and I used those gifts to score a touchdown. So, thank you, God!"

I believe God is constantly moving us around, asking things of us, changing those requests (demands?) and manipulating us for our growth. But He's also the God of free will, who let's us make choices. If He gave us the gift of work ethic and athleticism but chose to not use it, that's on us.

I pray before I tee off each time I play a round of disc golf. It's no amazing prayer, and there are usually no requests, just thanks. To be outside, sandwiched between God's earth and sky, to be relaxing, remembering God, hanging out with friends, playing and competing, those are all worthwhile reasons to be thanking God.

No comments: