Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why a disc golf group?

I wanted to start a men's group, but I have many commitments and priorities. With those, I don't get much time for fellowship and recreation. This goes with the territory and isn't unusual. I chose to be a husband and father and with the choice comes different commitments. But, I think it's pretty easy to fit additional things into a hectic schedule; if only one combines.

I combined two interests: disc golf and church. I do this same thing with my kids. I find an interest of their and I do it with them; we get time together, they get an enjoyable activity.

If you have a hobby, any hobby, or recreational pursuit, there is room for God in it. Just make it a men's group and get a couple of guys and go fishing, bowling, golfing, swimming, running, whatever. It matters not except that you are giving guys a chance to be around other Christians and prop them up. The more time we spend around Christians, the more likely we are to become stronger in our faith. Some will be stronger than you. Others might not. You will influence and be influenced. You will give them something to do other than the things they've always done and that have gotten them nowhere. It doesn't need to be a bible study. Just ask a few guys to join you when you are doing something and keep God part of it and you'll be great. I laid out only a few rules: be respectful, keep the smoking and swearing to a minimum (for some it's not easy to eliminate altogether, even if they are trying), leave the beer for other occasions, keep what's said private and be transparent. Those simple rules make for church anywhere you and one other Christian are.

No comments: