Monday, December 17, 2007

DG.12.16

It was an absolutely beautiful day under God's perfectly blue sky. Just a hint of wind, but the perfect temp (while the sun remained up) and good companionship. We hit a round with another newbie, Will this time. On his 7th hole, Will outscored me, holing a 4 to my 5. Twas my humble contribution to Will's self-esteem and confidence. Probably he'll be a champion one day due to my sacrifice.

Steve and I arrived early. Steve goes to 1st Methodist and spotted a group of kids from the youth ministry there. It was good to see them out, playing football and having fun. They aren't perfect angels, and they'll probably make a lot of mistakes in their lives. But, I know that I spent too many pretty Sunday afternoons during my 17th year driving around and doing stupid stuff. It was good to see that these kids have a better foundation than that. Here's to hoping that foundation props up good families led by these soon-to-be men.

We played 9 and Steve had to leave, but the rest stuck around for 9 more and we took on a couple more players, a college-aged guy and what might have been his girlfriend, or soon-to-be, perhaps. Nice pair. It's great to see women out playing, too. I think that's a healthy sign for disc golf. Sports completely dominated by men end up fizzling or becoming so testerone-laden and competitive they lose all sense of "sport." Behind our group were two older women, too, playing together. They appeared to be new to the sport, but from the neighborhood. That's awesome to see. If the locals are using the park for d.g., it will be there for a long time.

I'm not sure who this week's champ is, as we stopped keeping score as to not intimidate any new players. But Aaron played pretty well so I'll call him this week's champion. We couldn't fit the huge, solid-gold imaginary trophy into the back of his F150, though, so we left it at the park.

No comments: