Saturday, August 23, 2008

Course: Cameron Park, Waco TX

This is the non-"Beast" course. I didn't have a chance to play the Beast, but this park was pretty good.

I started out with no one behind me and I didn't have a chance to really warm up, so I just started and really tanked the first three holes -- taking a bogey on each. These are SHORT holes, around 200 feet each, but with some trees (not really "tunnels" just trees here and there) so I called them "warmups" and started again (#3's basket was pretty much right at #1's tee anyway). The second time around, "for real" I shot -1 for the three. This area is skip central. The ground by the baskets are very bare, minus some exposed tree roots, and anything that had some steam but wasn't high enough to spike would skip a long way. But, I was happy with -1. I parred 4, and#5 -- "Bogey Hill" didn't look too daunting. I drove pin high, but too far right and hit a tree with my 100 foot upshot. Still having about 70 feet to go, I overshot, then missed the 40 foot come-back badly (bare ground!!!) and ended up with a good 30 footer for triple-bogey and got it. Argh! +2. Then on #6 I slipped a disc and got stuck about 100 feet up a huge tree and took about 10 minutes to get it out. My shoulder was worn by then. I took the penalty, placed my upshot and took a bogey. +3!!! Dangit! I birdied 7 and almost parked 8, but missed the 30 foot putt, then the 30 foot comebacker and dropped in another bogey. Hit some bushes on 9, missed a 20 footer and got another bogey.

The back nine starts in a flat, mostly open (keep 'em low, out of the high cut canopy). I took another bogey, then had a par, birdie, par (missed a 25 foot putt), par. So, I was +4 teeing on 15, where I lost my old Pro Wraith. Hit a big tree branch and dropped a dingy ditch. When I was looking for it (no chance!) I found an old, unmarked Quantum something or 'nuther (grimey... seems like a "Champion Beast" -- even says "Innova discs" on it... hmm). I cleaned it and thought "why not" and shot it after my drop. Oops. Another bad shot. Ended up with a dbl-bogey. +6. Then I bogeyed 16 for +7 and parred out with a couple of decent drives. +7 on a decent course, pretty much blind? I'll take it. I need to work on my putting.

This is a fun course, and will be more fun when I play it next time after I can putt!!!

No comments: