Thursday, September 6, 2007

Rules

    Here's where I'll set out some guidelines for our groups:

  1. If you are one of those long-haired, tattooed, beer-swilling, f-bomb dropping guys... welcome to the group. That's been me, in various stages, sometimes all at the same time. I'll always have the ink but baldness is taking care of the hair. The beer is a bigger challenge and I sometimes still get angry and act like a jerk. So, if you aren't perfect, whew!, neither am I . God loves you, and I want to play disc golf with you.
  2. BUT... This is a Bay Area Fellowship Men's Group. We should act like it. Be helpful and nice. Ice the f-bombs, leave the beer and smokes and bring a smile. Some in the group (read: me) like(d) beer a little too much, if you knowwhatImean; and some are trying to quit smoking or maybe they once smoked and could easily be led off the ledge again (okay... me again). Let's set an example during these meetings. Bring ice water, though, the more the better on the hot days.

  3. If you don't have problems, this group is not for you. Don't worry, I'm sure someone will one day start a disc golf group for perfect souls.

  4. Be on time because we're going to start on time (if you are late, you can join in progress, which is fine, so don't be shy, just catch up on the 2nd or 3rd tee, or whereever). When we're done, go home!, especially if you are married and the better half is expecting you to keep your word that you are coming home. And be really nice to her. Oh, hold on, that's its own rule.
  5. Be really nice and polite to all women, especially your wife, or if you are single, your girlfriend. This has nothing to do with golf.

  6. Just you. As much as it is important to spend time with your significant other and your family, I think time with guys who will help you stay accountable is important, too. Spend oodles of time with family, but please bring only yourself and other men to this group. That way we an openly talk about issues that we might have to restrict around more tender ears. If someone is struggling with dishonesty, unfaithfulness or substance abuse, they aren't likely to talk about it with your wife or kids around. That's all this rule is. We need to be transparent, but we aren't going to be if we have to watch what we say because of who is there.

  7. Just us. What is said in F.o.L.F. stays in F.o.L.F. We're not going to be grilling each other on problems, but if I tell you I just spent 90 days in jail and not in the Peace Corps like I told everyone else and you go and tell all those other people we both know but I haven't told, then I'm never telling you anything again. This is all about helping, and guys who step up and confess problems deserve respect and help, not gossip.

  8. Speak loudly. Your gracious host (ahem, me) is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids that go on the fritz when it's hot and he's sweating. I'm NOT stuck-up. I just didn't catch the punch line, that's all.


No comments: