Friday, July 25, 2008

Course: Pattee Canyon, Missoula, MT

Typical hole at Pattee Canyon. Some weren't this open and some were longer.

I played this course recently, on a trip to my home state. It had just opened for the season because the area was well used as a folf course and x-country ski area and the vegetation needed a break to regroup. I had never played this course, not realizing it was there back in the early 1990's when I played at the Blue Mountain course.

First couple and the 18th holes were in open tall-grass areas like this, putting "findable" shots at a premium.

This is a very fun course. Pretty tight, with plenty of trees. The first couple of holes are in an open area with young trees then most of the rest are in a more sloped area with bigger, older trees that tower above. Some of the views from the tees were awesome. In the middle holes some were tight and short, which made for some good variety. I shot my putter on a couple but could have done more often if I didn't need a specific curve or skip.

I played the course at about 8 over... didn't keep track tightly, as I played with a guy and his girl and we talked a lot. But it was about that. I didn't play particularly well, but had a fine time nonetheless.

If you are in Missoula, make time for this course. It's up Pattee Canyon (a beautiful drive) about 6 or 8 miles. Look for the big picnic area and then follow the signs dealing with "Folf."

No comments: