Saturday, July 5, 2008

What's in my Bag #2

In my first "What's in my Bag" I wrote about every disc I have ever used. Now, to what is currently in my bag. I will update as needed, you might notice duplicate information but I'll try to highlight changes.

Distance Drivers
Star Destroyer (175g) - great general driver; for straight long shots to minor fades & hyzers. I really like how this feels.

Pro Wraith (174g) - Don't use it much, opting for the Destroyer instead, but still comparing it and don't want to give up on it yet. I might find I like it better than the Destroyer as I get better and longer with my drives.

Star Monster (175g) - I'm only keeping this until I figure out if the Firebird can replace it. If not, I'll probably pick up a Teerex and see if the Teerex can replace it. I need to play a few afternoons with a decent breeze to really know. I'm dying to find something as I don't really like the grip on the Monster.

Champion Beast (172g) - The Destroyer and the Roadrunner are beginning to see more playing time but I'm not cutting the Beast yet. I'm finding that Champion plastic isn't for me, though. I'm not 100% sure about that, because this is my only Champion disc. Might be the narrow rim. Either way, you might be reading about this one on the waiver wire soon.

Star Roadrunner
(175g). I really like this disc. I bought it for two holes with sweeping lefts that I have trouble with and it works great. It also works great as a tailwind driver and for tunnel shots. It's very versatile and I could see the day where I might have something like a Firebird/Teerex, Destroyer and a Roadrunner and that's it... all strong Star plastic so I wouldn't have to deal with changing characteristics but would have essentially an overstable, stable and understable in grips I like.

Pro Firebird (175g) Not yet used, just bought it today.

Fairway Drivers

DX Banshee (175g) - Until I can figure out a short-range hyzer, this one isn't leaving my bag. I don't like it for it's "real" use, but when I need a dead low speed sweeping hyzer (just think of how you threw when you first started), this is a perfect disc. Hole #6 at Live Oak Park is about 200' straight, then a hard right turn. I always overthrow the Wraith & Destroyer even if I put nothing on them, but the Banshee goes about 200 and dies right hard to the right (I throw RHFH).

DX Teebird (170g): Just bought it but haven't used it. Will buy a Star copy if I like it.

Mid-range
DX Cobra (177g) - I love this disc. For a RHFH thrower and my grip, it's a great. I can toss it 250 easily but it's quickly beating in and I keep ending up way left. I am trying to locate a Pro version of it for durability, but still... it's starts understable and any beat-in makes it moreso, so I still need a stable to overstable mid-range.

DX Skeeter (174g): This is the stable mid-range. I haven't used it yet, but I have high hopes for it. I'm finally good enough that I can throw a mid-range farther than I could a driver 8 months ago and my drives are hard to control if I try to finesse them with 50% power. I don't like the deeper rims of the Shark & Roc, but the Cobra and Skeeter have shallow rims and are really comfortable. Crossing my fingers. If I end up liking it, I'll buy it in Star for durability because at this point I don't want to deal with changing characteristics on my discs (maybe someday I'll be that good...). If it works out, this will be my primary short-tunnel disc and I'll need the durability.

Putt & Approach
Aviar P&A (2 x 175g) - the aged one for putting, the newer one for longer approaches (anything within 150'), especially into the wind. I'm learning a decent forehand annhyzer on this one, too.

No comments: