Friday, July 25, 2008

The Long Downhill Shot

[note: see discussion of this at DiscGolfersR.us]

So, I think I learned something about long downhill shots. I went on vacation and played my own home course at Blue Mountain, in Missoula, MT. Great course. #4 is a long downhill (650 length, tee is probably 100 feet higher than the basket).

I dreamed of this hole once I knew I was going on vacation and taking my gear. I even brought my WHOLE bag because I wanted to make sure I brought the right disc for this hole, instead of just bringing the Destroyer, Cobra and Aviar, as I originally planned.

But, all of my shots stunk. But, I think I know why and hopefully it will help me in the future. There are two more downhill shots at Blue Mountain. #10 and #12, I think. #10 was pretty long but not as much drop and #12 was shorter but with a good drop. Walking down to collect my drive on #12, and thinking of the three downhill holes (none of which endd up as well as I hoped) I thought up this, we'll see with more experience if I am right:

Downhill shots add more speed than I am able to get on a flat shot. This speed makes the disc do "it's thing" better than usual. On #4 I shot my Destroyer (my real shot), plus my Beast and Roadrunner, both turnover discs (both as test shots). I ripped all three pretty well. The Destroyer went out and started screaming along and then just hyzered off right big time (I'm RHFH on drives). The Beast faded left a ton but landed flat (way left and not that far away, it went farther left than down). The Roadrunner annied hard and rolled a bunch (NOT my intention, though this shot ended up closer to the hole than any... probably 200 feet away). My thought is this: These discs OVERDID what they were designed to do and I should have flicked them softer, so they wouldn't pick up so much speed. Otherwise, I can only figure to float my putter out there softly, or to put a wing up on the Destroyer so it won't hyzer so much.

No comments: